Start Comoy dating

Comoy dating

In 1937 a new, model and splendidly-equipped factory was opened in Pentonville Road to accommodate additional staff of several hundred.

" indicates the size of the leather washer located on the end of the metal stinger (see patent description).

Period: 1933 until 1945 (with the bar logo) After WWII the bar logo has been replaced by the 3 pieces inlaid C.

This marking/inlay method was canceled in the early 80s.

Very rare: One year during WW II Comoy put a blue "C" on the stem of their Blue Riband line.

The "Comoy's" marking: the arched COMOY'S stamping in upper case script with serifs, apostrophe before the “S,” and the “C” larger than the other letters reaches back to 1917 and has been continued for a short time after WWII.

The country of origin marking: the circular "Made in London" and straight "England" stamp was first used in the late 1940s / early 1950s.

A straight (one or two lines) "London Made" stamping may be found on Comoy's pipes from 1902 until about 1915. The “C” logo was first inlaid in the side of the mouthpiece around 1919.

The Birmingham Assay Office hallmarks display a "l" year letter which applies for 1910.

Though both ownership of the Comoy's name and the location where the pipes are made have changed, not to mention finishes, one aspect has continued to remain much the same: shaping.

This is a good thing, since a big part of what has always made Comoy's, Comoy's has been a distinct style of interpreting the classics.

The basis for this article is an excerpt from A History Of Comoy's and A Guide Toward Dating the Pipes written by Derek Green [1].